What Should You Do After a Slip & Fall Accident?
A slip and fall accident is defined as a personal injury case in which a person slips or trips and is injured on someone else’s property. Slip and fall accident cases usually fall under what is known as premises liability claims. The person bringing the lawsuit must show that the property owner where the accident occurred was negligent, and that something they did or failed to do caused the accident and resulting injury.
What to do after a slip and fall accident
There are some actions that are very important to take after you slip and fall on someone else’s property. Here is a handy checklist for you to follow if this happens to you:
- Seek medical attention. If you experience pain, call 911 immediately. If you don’t or can’t go to the hospital right away, call your doctor within 48 hours and make an appointment as soon as possible. This is important because not all injuries are immediately obvious.
- Obtain a copy of your emergency room or doctor’s exam results. You will need these records to pursue a personal injury claim for any medical costs you incur as a result of your accident.
- Inspect the scene and determine what caused your injuries. Was there a liquid that caused you to slip? Was there an uneven floor or loose rug that caused you to trip? Was a handrail on a staircase loose? It will be difficult to prove your case if you can’t tell what caused you to slip, trip, or fall.
- Identify any witnesses to the accident and get their contact information, including name, address, phone number, and email address. You can even ask for a brief statement, which you can record on your phone and use as evidence. Witnesses can be crucial to your case, as they can verify what happened and bolster the strength of your case.
- Report your accident to the property owner or manager immediately. If you can’t do this because of being transported to the hospital, have a family member or reliable person do it for you as soon as possible.
- Take lots of pictures of the area where the accident took place, and take them as soon as possible after the accident occurs, before anything changes. If you can’t take them because of your injuries, have someone take them for you and, if possible, contact any witnesses to the accident and get their statements. You should also take photos of your injuries.
- Save any documentation. If you are shopping at the time of the accident, save the receipts for the purchases made. This will help establish a timeline.
- Make a written account of the incident. Write a narrative account of the events that led to your accident and make it as detailed as possible. Also, keep a record of your pain, injuries, and any other symptoms you notice after the accident.
- Contact an experienced personal injury attorney as soon as possible. Don’t put your case in the hands of anyone other than an experienced attorney willing to ‘go to the mat’ for you. Injuries can have long term effects, and your attorney will know how to ensure you get adequate compensation. It’s always better to have someone who understands the intricacies of the laws of your state working on your behalf in personal injury matters – representing yourself is a mistake
- Request maintenance records and video surveillance immediately – this should be done by you lawyer shortly after the accident so all evidence is preserved in the case
At Whalen Hersh, we represent slip and fall accident victims every day. Over the years, we have obtained over $25,000,000 in settlements, judgements and verdicts for our clients. If you or a loved one have been injured in a slip and fall accident, you’ll need a slip and fall accident attorney to pursue a civil lawsuit against the responsible party or parties. We understand how damaging a slip and fall accident can be, and we want to ensure that you receive the medical attention you need, the support you deserve, and the representation you rely upon.
When you need a dedicated, sympathetic and talented slip and fall accident attorney with a proven track record of success who will fight for your best interests, contact us today. We’re happy to offer you a free consultation with one of our slip and fall accident lawyers to review the details of your case and discuss your legal options. If you are due financial compensation, we are ready to provide diligent legal representation to get justice for you. You can reach us in Denver at (720) 307-2666. Our offices are conveniently located in the Denver Tech Center at 7955 East Arapahoe Court, Suite 2375, Centennial, CO 80112. In Colorado Springs, you can find us at the Alamo Corporate Center, 102 S. Tejon Street, Suite 1100, Colorado Springs, CO 80903, or call us at (719) 644-7000 to learn more. At Whalen Hersh, we aren’t afraid to take on a big insurance company or corporate 500 company and fight for your right to receive fair compensation.